Happy Mother’s Day. I know that this date varies dependent on country because hell knows it would be too sensible to make it all on the same day. Before I get comments reminding me of my British roots and it would be treason to abandon them, I beg upon your mercy to remember that my daughter is American born and to date raised, so to ensure she feels well adjusted we celebrate the US date of mother’s day, although I am always happy to celebrate more than one.
Today is my fifth mother’s day and as I reflect on that fact I thought I would share some of my thoughts and feelings on motherhood. These are purely off the cuff and a stream of consciousness.
- The days are long but the years are short, never a truer statement said. Some days I feel like I am pulling a jumbo jet up K2 in a pair of high heels, but then I sit down and think how is this my fifth mothers day!
- You will develop an addictive personality usually to coffee or wine and if you are truly successful both.
- If you have a plan, trash it. You can be the most organized person on the planet but children are unpredictable beasts, they have a mind and feelings of their own. There are times and days where all the planning on the planet will not stop a melt down. Trust me I have been their. I still think about those poor peoples ear drums on that flight ….
- Love, unconditional love it is mesmerizing, life altering and breathtaking all at once and it grows deeper and stronger as time progresses.
- You learn more about yourself, I lie not when I say mothering is a challenge it will take you to the brink and beyond, whether it is sleep deprivation, growing pains or they are being a stinker with prerogative, you will learn more about your patience level, selfishness and tolerance than any school room will teach you.
- You will see yourself. There is nothing more frightening than when you see yourself staring back at you. The wonder of genetics.
- They are always watching, children are like a shadows, whatever you say, do, they are ready to recreate at the most inappropriate moments.
- Judgement, I was one of those stuck-up young women who actually thought things like “when I am a mother, I won’t.” I mean what a stupid person I was. Any mother knows that this mantra never applies because being a mum is beyond challenging and the last thing anyone needs is judgement.
- Consistency, I remember my mum telling me this one and she was right. Consistency is the biggest challenge as a mama, there are days when you are on your A game and having a consistent approach and parenting is easy and then their are the days when that fourth espresso is not hitting the mark and the appeal of letting your child have candy for breakfast or an extra hour of TV is what you need.
- Parental club, this club is non discriminatory it is that solidarity we all feel. It is the unspoken nod of the head or sympathetic head turn which says. WE KNOW, WE HAVE BEEN YOU AND THANK GOD IT IS NOT ME TODAY.
I am beyond lucky to be a mother and I thank God for giving me the blessing of my happy daughter. She is my greatest legacy and I appreciate every moment we get to experience and learn life together. To all mother’s in whatever form that is, wherever in the world you are. Happy Mother’s Day. To those of you who may find this day difficult you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Have a wonderful week friends.
Ta ta for now,