So we are experiencing record temperatures early this summer in Texas. Last week my car was reading 108oc and we are only in June. This heat combined with my daughter home for the summer means that I have a slightly different lifestyle and therefore requirements of my cosmetics. If you have followed me for a while you will know that I am a fan of reviewing your cosmetics routine at the start of every season, after all you don’t wear the same clothes in winter as you do in summer so why would you do the same with skincare and makeup? As I mature I am noticing that my skin has very different needs in each season and how I respond to this can really change how my skin looks and feels. Whether you are like me and live in unbearable heat or are about to enjoy a summer holiday I wanted to share with you some of the holly grail products I have found which are quick (who has the time?) sustainable in the heat and do what is required.
Even if you follow my strict policy of wearing sunscreen at all times, your skin tone changes during the summer months. The vast majority of people will drop at least one shade in foundation and concealer. So it is always worth checking, the wrong color can be ageing and nobody got time for that!!! The need for a full coverage foundation is not necessary in the summer, unless you have blemishes you have to cover. The summer is time to celebrate our skin tone and its beautiful to see freckles, a light BB or CC is perfect for the vast majority in the summer.
Like the winter, the skins exposure to extreme elements like heat, humidity, sand, salt and air conditioning to name a few really alters your skins texture. Often you will think your skin is greasier as you sweat and perspire (we all glow) but actually more often than not your skin is actually dry and dehydrated (combination skin.) For me my skin can not get enough of hydrating products and I lean much more to cream products in summer. It is only my finishing powder which is a powder product. I think that dewy cream finish is lighter for the summer and gives a more youthful glow (who doesn’t want that?!)
Here is what I am using and loving this summer.
- If you take nothing more from this post than this, sunscreen is the most important thing you can do for your skin, it should be applied everyday rain or shine. I am a strong advocate of a separate/stand alone sunscreen application even if your face product contains SPF.
- I love Supergoop, it is not heavy or sticky and absorbs into your skin. I find it works well for most sensitive skins.
- Supergoop only make products for skin protection from the sun which I thinks speaks volumes to the quality.
- This is not essential but it diminishes redness for an even looking skin tone. I find in the sun the red pigment of my skin can come through and this helps.
- This is a fantastic CC cream, it gives good coverage and has strong lasting power even when in and out of the pool.
- It also contains an SPF 50 which combined with a separate sunscreen will provide you a high SPF coverage.
- Regardless of season this is a LL love. When exposing your skin to the summer elements the serum inside the concealer gives added moisture to the eye area which is nourishing. It prevents that dried and cakey look that some concealers can.
Bobbi Brown Cream Shadow Stick
- In the heat I can not be bothered to do elaborate eye makeup. I want to apply something easy which will hold all day and I find these are brilliant.
- They come in various colors and both matte or shimmer.
- They don’t require brushes which make them fantastic for travel.
Beauty Counter Volumizing Mascara
- I spend much of the summer either swimming or sweating. I also live in an area where allergies/pollen are rampant, as a result I find by the end of the day I am wearing most my mascara on my under eyes.
- I did feel that in the summer months I wanted to find a more natural mascara. I have been trying several items in the Beauty Counter range and I can honestly tell you I have been very impressed with this mascara. It is a little dryer in texture and therefore requires a little more work in application but it lasts well and I have no fall out. It also feels good to think that it does not have any nasties or chemicals near my eyes.
Beauty Counter Color Pinch Cream Blusher
- I mentioned earlier that during the summer I prefer cream products. I was looking for a cream blush and decided to try Beauty Counter. I have been impressed, highly pigmented, beautiful packaging and has strong longevity.
- To all mums and tired people everywhere, regardless of season this is a must. Place this along your waterline and you will look like you have had 8+ hours sleep.
- Eyebrow grooming is essential. This tints, fills, grooms and lasts all days.
- Great variety of colors and buildable.
- Great glosses and all natural.
Supergoop 100% mineral setting powder
- Love this product, it is a finishing powder with SPF. It sets your makeup and prevents shine. The wonderful design with retractable brush means it is easy to carry with you and you whip out reapply and remove any shine or add SPF.
- It comes in a variety of shades or translucent like I have.
- Been bashing on about these for an age, great shade range, so comfortable and nourishing. Plus they contain SPF.
- These come in a variety of shades and add a slight highlight to your face, plus so affordable.
Here is the picture of me with the makeup on!
So any products your loving for summer? Would you like me to do a post of facial sunscreens? The other thing to remember which is almost as important as sunscreen is to double cleanse. Even if your not much of a makeup wearer, you are of course wearing sunscreen and it is important to remove that correctly and get your skin/pores very clean. Another issue for summer skin is bacteria, I find I am more susceptible to breakouts, with all the elements and sweating so a very strict skincare regime with DOUBLE CLEANSING is essential.
Ta Ta for now,
Must try cc foundation. I agree love the supergloop serum.
I love the Bobbi brown cream shadow sticks!! Such a good choice for summer, loved this post! You’re so pretty!! <3
Hi thanks for getting in touch, I loved your blog too. Need your tips on photography. Kx
Can you now do hair in the heat?
Yes mam! I will do that!
Hi Kate. Hope you are well. I’m a big fan of the IT Cosmetics CC cream. I’m interested in the Supergoop Mineral setting powder. Is it a totally matte finish? I’ve been using Bare Minerals veil, but I think they’ve changed the formulation and it feels grainy. I don’t like shimmer/glimmer or a ‘dewey’ finish. If the Supergoop is matte, I’ll get hubs to pick one up when he’s your side of the pond! x
Hi Carolyn, yes the Supergoop powder is matte, if your not bothered by the SPF Laura Mercier translucent powder is excellent. Kx
Hi there! I love ALL your recommendations in this post! I literally could not pick just one or even two or three to say were my favorites of your all your recommendations! They are all so great! I love your blog and your style of writing! XO!
Thanks so so much for your kind words, you have made my day. Please keep coming to visit and tell your friends. So glad you visited. Happy weekend. Kx