I thought I would share with you my Friday Feelings, this will be on a variety of things from products I’m loving or lusting after to news events or popular culture. It is a roundup of my thoughts, loves and loathes for the week.
- I am loving the Winter Olympics. I am not the most avid sports watcher which is as good as treason when living in Texas, but there is something about the Olympics which has me hooked, I have even enjoyed the curling. I often feel that these people who work their socks off and train their lives away to represent their country should get a little more recognition. Lets face it how many Olympians go on to become ambassadors of sport and culture vs some TV presenter who is famous for being on a reality show or a singer who is famous for covering records. I do feel sometimes culture has lost its way. I love that despite the state of world affairs countries can come together and compete. I’m drawn to the anti millennial vision the Olympics uphold that there are winners and losers because my friends that is a true reflection of life, we are not always winners. My only disappointment is that it over so quickly.
- I am going skiing for a few days next week and other than a day visit to man-made snow in Virginia I am a ski virgin. Friends so kindly invited us and I really want Little L to learn so we put caution to the wind and accepted. I am nervous and skiing is an expensive sport, you need lots of basic equipment that is essential. If you have followed me for a while you will know I like the slightly nicer (sorry teacher) things in life, but to be forking out big money for ski boots when if I hate skiing the likely hood of them getting any further wear seemed a pretty large pill to swallow, until my friends I came across these and they were a little over $30. I am not usually a proponent of copies and was a little dubious of the quality but I received them last night and was delighted. They are just what I needed. I ordered Little L a pair of ski boots with a draw string top for $15 and again they are perfect.
- The Royal Wedding is approaching fast, and at first, I was very excited, and to some extent I still am. I was an advocate for Meghan. I have been a fan of hers and her work within the UN for some time. I am glad that she and Harry have found on another. However, I have been decidedly underwhelmed by her public appearances since her engagement. Tuesday saw the Princess to be and HRH Prince Harry in Scotland, I was very disappointed by her appearance, her trousers looked way too long and dragged onto the tarmac, her tartan coat which was a classy nod to Scottish heritage swamped her, her hair appeared messy and unpolished. Now before I get accused of being anti-feminist, and people write who cares what she wears, I answer simply this, she is becoming Royal, a figurehead, and ambassador or our country, the Commonwealth and the HRH The Queen where ever she goes. Her role is so very different to that of an actress or social advocate. Hear me, Meghan is a beautiful and elegant woman, but there are protocols to being royal, if they lose that sense of decorum, regality, and courtliness they become common place and I would hate to see where that would lead. It has given me a deeper respect for the HRH Duchess of Cambridge who always looks polished and elegant at events, another young woman not raised for this role but who has embraced it. One must remember that on Tuesday Scottish people will have waited outside (in the freezing weather) for many hours for Meghan to arrive and how she appears and the way she looks matters. If this appears negative to Meghan it is not; she would make a trash bag look good which might be why I was so shocked and surprised that courtiers are not assisting her better. I am thrilled that a woman of her education and experience is joining The Royal Family, just please tailor your clothes (you can afford to!)
- A friend introduced me to this Revitalizing Lip Balm by Neutrogena it comes in a variety of shades and is very affordable around $8. It is so nourishing and comfortable on the lips plus it is drug store!!
- I have also started a Lent Bible Study this week, I honestly rarely mention my faith here on the blog but I find the discipline of taking time for myself learning and being alone with God very therapeutic. If you would like to join me there is still time here is the link.
- I could not finish this week without mentioning the shooting in Florida, there are no words. In my opinion we must tighten gun control and improve education. My point here is not to comment over the atrocity but to simply express my disgust in the way the media handle such events. The 24hour news culture of course brings an aggressive approach to stories and gaining new information over competitors. I get that. My problem is when networks exploit peoples grief to gain viewings, it is abhorrent. I have seen close family members and school friends of the victims interviewed and my friends it was wholly inappropriate. If audiences need to see that to react to the heinous crime because they are desensitized to the visual images, then we have much bigger concerns. Please can we go back to a little more sensitivity.
I told you it would be a mixed bag, I hope you enjoyed the post where I am a little freer! Enjoy your weekend!
Love hearing your thoughts on these topics. Look forward to hearing more!
Thanks for continuing to support me! Kx
Interesting what you say about Meghan St Markle. There is an article in the paper this morning saying all this hugging and feeling people’s pain is not really what we want. Nor are secret visits to the Mosque. She is trying to be Diana far too soon. I thought she looked a mess in Edinburgh as well. Love Rosie
Sent from my iPhone
Totally agree, it is a little too much too soon. Thanks for continued support. Kx