Today I am going to write about my summer hair survival. Hair is a topic which is one of the most requested. Most importantly managing and caring for it. I am blessed with thick hair, and I mean thick, it has a natural curl/ wave, and when you live in a place where the humidity is hellish, you learn pretty quick what works and what doesn’t. The easiest thing sometimes is to scrape it up high off the back of the neck and leave it, and there are times that it precisely what I do. I am not a hair expert, but I have noticed that as I mature and live in different climates, my hair needs have changed. My hair does require a little more TLC especially as it is exposed to sun, humidity, and chlorine. Since we are in the height of summer at the moment and many Europeans are still to go on there vacations I will share some of the products that I love this summer and that have helped my hair stay in excellent condition. I have tried many, and I am all about keeping it simple, less is more and have found the following to be workhorses.
1. Pureology Hydrate Shampoo. This is relatively new to my regime; I have been using for only several months. I was reluctant to try due to the hype and honestly I liked the shampoo my Dallas hairdresser recommended. I have found that I need to change my shampoo sometimes seasonally or annually, I am not sure if it is hormonal or different water types but I feel my hair gets used to shampoo and it is not as effective. Pureology does come in a variety of versions dependent on hair type, but I jumped for hydrate because that is what my hair needs. Since it is color treated, hydration is essential. I find the thickness of the formula means I don’t need too much and one wash can get my hair clean and my roots in particular. If you are not sure what hair type you are then this would be a good one to start with.
2. Pureology Hydrate Conditioner. This is lovely. It has a pleasant minty smell. It is stronger than just a scent because you feel its cooling effects on your hair when you massage it in. It does make the hair/scalp tingle a little, so if that is not your thing, this may not be for you. I love its soothing qualities especially if my scalp has been exposed to too much sun. If you are someone with slightly thinner hair I would recommend using just on the very ends of your hair. If your hair is more like mine, thicker, color treated and exposed to more summer elements like chlorine, sea, or sun I would be a little more generous with the application, your hair and scalp can thank me later.
3. KMS Hair Stay. This is an anti humidity spray, and you may remember me mentioning this last summer. The product has had a cosmetic makeover, and the packaging is different, I am happy to report this still works great. After I have styled my hair I spray this on top much like hair spray. I would spray instead of as I am not one for heaps of product, to me lots of product often means more frequent washing and with so much hair and with a sensitive scalp that is not productive. I can honestly tell you that this stuff does work as a barrier and notably stops the dreaded FRIZZ! I have also found that using once a day is enough.
4. Briogeo Rosarco Milk. One thing I have found benefiting my hair this season has been a leave in conditioning spray. I discovered this gem from my Sephora Play box. Have I mentioned how much I love that subscription?! I have fallen for this; I use it on both mine and Little L’s hair. It is light like milk so doesn’t leave the hair heavy or greasy. I use on dry hair every evening before bed and throughout the day when I remember to. It has a lovely fragrance which is a winner who doesn’t want the hair to smell good? It also works great as a detangler so if you find the summer makes your hair a little knottier then this is also a winner. I also spray it in my hair before swimming so that it helps a little.
5. Macadamia Nourishing Moisture Masque. Using a hair masque for me is like one for the face, essential and a good discipline to get into. I also find that it makes my hair more manageable. I am currently using this and I like it, now I have found hair masques which are good, this is one, Kenra is another, plus hot oil treatments are fantastic too. I am also a big advocate of olive oil or coconut oil in the hair although both require a lot more care in removal so that the hair is not left greasy. If my hair is very dry or feeling unpleasant I have been known to abandon the masque in overnight or in my hair while I am outside in the heat. The sun helps it penetrate. Although this masque I would recommend it is the discipline of masqueing I encourage.
6. Moroccanoil Treatment. Last but not least this product is a cult classic for a reason, I have tried the dupes and other alternatives but honestly they don’t come close for me. A few pumps of this liquid gold on the ends of my hair when damp is a lifesaver. I even use on Little L I don’t use on dry hair I don’t find it efficient, and it gets messy, but if I run out or forget to add to my ends I notice.
So that’s my Summer Healthy Hair essentials. I do use other products when necessary like blow drying or styling but honestly, I try to keep additional heat exposure to a minimum. These six items have helped me keep my hair feeling good. Other things that I use dry shampoo I tend to use year round and are not summer specific, and honestly, I try to avoid that in the summer months. I do have a remarkably sensitive scalp and often suffer from psoriasis and have found these products have helped combat it. What products do you love? What works for you? I have had a request for a hair styling video and I am working up the courage to film that.
Thanks for reading.
Ta Ta for now,
Glad to see you back! Definitely will be trying these products!!
I like the look of the Pureology range of products. I’ve just checked them out on the web and they do a range for fine hair. I currently use Living Proof and Liz Earle but I feel I need a change. I’m also using a styling mousse from Alterna’s Bamboo range which I’m really loving!
Living Proof was good but the small hole to get product out of irritated me! Liz aearle just didn’t get my hair clean at the roots. I will look out for Alerna, sounds interesting. Thanks for commenting so appreciated x