So today I reach the milestone of another year older and wiser. Last year on my blog I wrote this blog post. It was entitled A letter of life lessons and learning for Little L, Little L is my daughter (Little Lifestyle.) This year I wanted to do something a little different and write about some of the things I have learnt in the past year. I feel this year has been a year of personal growth and development for me and before I sound like I have read the shelf of self-help books I will crack on:-
- Life is not fair – obvious huh? Not sure who ever thought it should/would be? Bad things happen to good people and sometimes bad things can keep coming. If we didn’t have bad times how would we know to appreciate and celebrate the good times?
- It is ok to be down and to ask for help! This is something I struggle with, I try to be everything to all and often to the detriment of myself. Things have happened to me this year which have made it difficult for me to pick myself up and carry on. I have learnt its ok to take time to get back on track. If you need help or if people offer TAKE IT! You win no prizes for being a martyr.
- Laughter is the best medicine, having a good laugh, a belly laugh, you know the kind where your crying and your belly hurts is a fantastic feeling. Very little beats it. I am on the search for more of it.
- You are what you are, of course it is great to strive to be “the best you”(vomit) whatever that means?! Whether you have to loose a few pounds, learn to be more patient or whatever, don’t waste so much time striving for perfection that you miss being you. Life is not a dress rehearsal. Learning to be comfortable in your own skin is an ongoing saga.
- Not everyone will like you and that is ok. This is something I have been trying to explain to Little L as she starts school. It is like finding a life partner you don’t always have chemistry or things in common, that is ok, but always treat people with respect.
- You can’t change what others think of you, so don’t waste precious time worrying about it. This is a very tough one, people form a view of you rightly or wrongly. A little like point one, it might not be fair or accurate but your unlikely to be able to change it, so why worry. Some people find this easier than others. Although I find as I age I care less, I can’t see a day where I don’t care but I’m working on it.
- Don’t let your fear of others opinions stop you from living and following your dreams. Honestly I worry what people think of my blog and then I think if I get pleasure from sharing it with others, and others enjoy it, why am I wasting time worrying about negative ninnies?
- Exercise does make you feel better, yes I did type this, let me tell you I am not a work out junkie, I have no aspirations to look like a Victoria Secrets model (secretly wish I could.) I do find I feel better if I work out this body a little bit. It is good for mind, body and soul.
- Friendships, are so important and so different. I am thinking about writing a separate post on this. You have your friends you see and speak to regularly, then you have other great friends who you might not speak to or see for years and you pick up where you left off. Life is busy and time moves fast, we never have the time we need to tell those we love or care about we love and miss them.
- Stop and enjoy, I remember a wise person told me on my wedding to stop throughout the day, turn around and take it all in. It was fantastic advice and something that should apply to life. I am trying now to stop and soak up where I am at this stage in my life. I’m embracing the chaos.
- Nobody has it right or all worked out. There are those amongst us who might think they have, but I got news for you! There is no “one size” method, especially in parenting and raising kids. They are all different. So to those people amongst us who like to speak loudly in stores and restaurants and pass judgments on the parenting skills of others, I say this, JOG ON. Also I really hate these passive aggressive nimbies who are frankly cowards because they don’t express their view directly to you, they rather stand amongst friends being vocal (because that’s brave!!)
- To be loved and have love returned is lucky. This is the ultimate goal, love comes in all forms, whether it is romantic or platonic. Nobody ever dies thinking I wish I had worked more, surely the greatest success is to have touched people and be remembered.
That’s it folks, it has been a really interesting year in terms of personal development. I don’t have all the answers. (Shock horror!) This year is going to be about taking the pressure off myself, enjoy being me and trying to love the world a little better. I want to give back a little more and I need to find a way of doing that, which fits in with my new schedule. I want to enjoy my little family and I want to thank you for reading this. If you want to do something for me on my birthday, take the implement you are reading this on, whether it is a phone, tablet, computer and send a text or email to a friend or loved one you haven’t reached out to in a while and say hi! I am never good enough at it!
Right I am off to enjoy the day.
Ta ta for now
Beautifully written and every aspect so true
Happy birthday x
Your so sweet and kind. Thanks for taking the time to read it!!
Wise words LL! Happy Birthday! Glad your back blogging!!
How sweet! Thanks for the support. Happy weekend x
Well written and well learn. Happy belated birthday to you and many more to come with so many of great lessons!
Thanks! I appreciate you taking time to stop by. Happy weekend.
So inspirational! Thanks for sharing at Funtastic Friday.
Thanks for all you do hosting